Sunday, September 16, 2007

Who's on our team?

My encounter with the man at Bumbershoot has continued to be on my mind. When I talked to him I felt like he was using an improper method for going about interpreting scripture. From what I could tell he was not being honest to the texts he was using to support his argument. At the same time I am challenged by the story of the man he was teaching and healing in Jesus' name. However, when the disciples came across the man, the told him to stop doing so. This was reported back to Jesus. Jesus did not approve of the disciples attempt to limit those who could or could not spread the gospel. The man they encountered wasn't one of the twelve, we never really hear about him again. So, my frustration with this man in Seattle, was I trying to preserve Orthodox faith, and halt negative stereotypes of the Church, or was I being like one of the disciples in that story? Was I trying to keep Christianity and evangelism to people who talked and taught like I do?

No comments: