Wednesday, December 26, 2007

It's a Wonderful Life...




Behold, for I bring you tidings of good news and great joy from Africa. The Christmas season is upon us, and in the midst of the hustle and bustle I hope that you all have had a chance to reflect upon the amazing wonderment that is the birth of Christ the Lord. Christmas for me will take place up in a remote town called Sebba, where we will be doing some evangelistic outreach as well as encouraging the few believers that are there. What better time than Christmas to proclaim the coming of our Lord than at Christmas time?

I can honestly say that my time here has been going by rather quickly and if I’m counting correctly, I have been here 73 days. Looking back over that time I am amazed at how much I have seen and lived with in that time. A few end of the year highlights for me from 5 to 1:

5. My roommate and two other guys and I went to a crocodile farm outside of Ouaga and got to not only feed the croc’s live chickens, but I got to sit on one as well. It was a fun trip.

4. Myself and eight other 20 something year olds went south for a weekend trip to an animal game park! We saw warthogs, bush bucks, monkeys, and many large elephants. While I did not get to have a picture taken with me on an elephants back like with the croc’s it was fun to get fairly close to them in a basically unrestricted area.

3. My progress in French studies. While I have a lot of work still to do, and my sentence structure needs a great deal of work, I am amazed at my ability to be where I am with the language. I still get frustrated at times with the language, but I can now have basic conversations with most people.

2. The friends I have made here. My roommate as well as some of the other short term missionaries have been a real blessing in my life. Being able to have good conversations is something I always cherish, and it has helped me open up and be honest with others here as well as continue to learn about Christian community.

1. The chance to be Santa Claus (I love Christmas and this was an absolute blast for me). In my last update I mentioned the fact that I had a Santa suit made, and that I planned to go out to give candy to kids. Well, I can say that I went to the store, and bought about $80 worth of candy. From there, I visited a kids program at a local church. There were probably over 100 kids there who were all very excited to see the man in red. I also visited a school where a friend of mine helps in. There were probably 60 kids or so there, and they too were happy to see little St. Nic. They even sang a song for me. And then with the rest of the candy, one afternoon, a friend and I just walked around the neighborhood until I ran out. I was originally giving the candy just to kids, but parents and other adults looked quite eager to get a little treat so I gave some out to them as well. It must have been quite a funny scene having grown men working on the streets as mechanics chase down a white guy in a red suit for a sucker, or piece of chocolate. That also gave me the chance to use my French as I wished them a Merry Christmas and asked them a few questions. I even had a few people pull over who were driving cars, just so their kids could get a piece of candy from Santa. Overall I would say that well over 200 kids got some kind of candy from Santa Claus here in Ouaga.

I can’t say how that candy will bring those kids closer to Christ, but I know that even though no one gave their life to Christ from candy, those kids received a gift not just of candy, but of joy, and I pray hope. And during this time isn’t that what we are all called to do? Shouldn’t we be bringing joy, peace, and hope on this earth just as Christ did 2000 years ago. I really enjoyed it and even though I’m out of candy this year, Santa will certainly be making more rounds next year as well. Hopefully he will be able to visit even more kids next year.
Merry Christmas to all, enjoy celebrating the hope found in an infant in a manger with family or friends and Happy New Years.

No comments: