Monday, May 26, 2008

Why Do I Forget?

I know I promised some pic's from the food distribution, and I'll get those up, but I haven't had a chance to get them from my friends yet. Anyway, on to my most recent thought.
So this morning I went to go look for my airplane tickets for my trip back home at the end of June until mid July. I went into my room and looked only discover, they weren't there! Not good. And these aren't the "E-tickets" that you can just reprint yourself, these are the "old school you better not lose these things" tickets. So obviously I started just searching like mad and starting to freak out a bit. I wrote a couple people to just slow down for a second and tried not to panic. Anyway, I've spent a good majority of today searching every inch of my room to no avail. I've also checked the living room, not quite as thoroughly, but there aren't as many nooks and crannies to hide in. All this to say, I can't find my plane tickets and I'm scheduled to leave in less than a month. Again, this is not good.
But then I started remembering an incident that happened to me in high school. Where I lost a gold ring that was very important to me, something my dad made for me when I turned 16. I lost it and couldn't find it for 2 months or something. I looked everywhere for this thing. Then the night before I was going to tell my dad I'd lost the ring he gave me I said a prayer, (one of many during that time) just saying to God that I knew He knew where it was and I asked if He would give me the courage I would need to tell my dad how I'd failed. The next morning I woke up to find that ring sitting on my floor. It wasn't there the night before, and no body put it there. It just "showed up". I don't know how or where God had it, only to say that I know that God was taking care of me. Since then I've told that story many times, and vowed not to forget how God took care of me then and will continue to do so.
So do you think that when I first realized I couldn't find my airline tickets that I calmed down and talked to God? Did I say, "God I know you know where these tickets are, and one way or another it'll be alright because you're in control"? No! I'm not saying this is the exact same situation, I'm not saying the morning of my flight my tickets are going to be sitting on the ground next to my bed. But how could I forget that I had such an impacting and amazing story in my life and how God looked after me, and then here now completely forget about that for several hours?
I heard someone say that 90% of preaching is simply reminding the congregation of what God has already done. That seems about right, because even though I've had my own personal awesome experience, I can still forget in the midst of a hectic and crazy situation that God is God and one way or another I'm going to be alright.

And if you want to pray on my behalf to God about this ticket situation, I'd appreciate it.

No comments: